Sonia Yulianti: My First International Conference
My First Step Beyond Borders: My AYIMUN 12th Journey in Kuala Lumpur
Introduction
Some journeys begin with a passport stamp.
Others begin with a decision.
For me, my international journey began long before I arrived in Kuala Lumpur. It started with curiosity. Curiosity about diplomacy, international cooperation, and the role young people can play in shaping the future of our increasingly interconnected world.
In August 2023, at the age of nineteen, that curiosity led me to participate in the 12th Asia Youth International Model United Nations (AYIMUN) held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Looking back today, I no longer see AYIMUN simply as an international conference.
I see it as one of the defining milestones that reshaped the way I understand leadership, diplomacy, cultural exchange, and my own aspirations.
It was my first solo trip abroad.
My first international conference.
My first opportunity to represent an international organization.
Most importantly, it was my first experience becoming part of conversations that extended far beyond the borders of my own country.
Why I Chose AYIMUN
Before sharing my personal experience, I think it is worth explaining what AYIMUN actually is.
The Asia Youth International Model United Nations (AYIMUN) is an educational simulation inspired by the procedures of the United Nations. Rather than debating as individuals, participants represent countries or international organizations and work collaboratively to address global issues through discussion, negotiation, diplomacy, and consensus building.
Unlike traditional academic competitions that focus primarily on individual achievement, Model United Nations emphasizes collective problem-solving. Delegates are challenged to defend policies, negotiate with others, draft resolutions, and seek solutions that balance national interests with global responsibilities.
AYIMUN also serves as an important platform for youth diplomacy. It brings together students and young leaders from different countries, creating opportunities for intercultural dialogue and international collaboration.
For many participants, including myself, it offers something that cannot easily be learned through textbooks alone.
It provides a practical introduction to diplomacy.
Why I Decided to Join
As an English Education student, I have always believed that education extends beyond classrooms.
Books can teach us theories.
Lecturers can guide our understanding.
Research helps us discover evidence.
However, genuine growth often begins when we step into unfamiliar environments where ideas, cultures, and perspectives meet.
That belief became one of the reasons I applied for AYIMUN.
Of course, I was excited about the opportunity to travel abroad for the first time.
But my motivation went much deeper than visiting another country.
I wanted to understand diplomacy from the inside.
I wanted to experience what negotiation feels like.
I wanted to learn how international cooperation works when people with different backgrounds gather to discuss complex global challenges.
Most importantly, I wanted to challenge myself.
At nineteen years old, I believed that saying yes to opportunities like this would help me become a more globally minded individual.
Looking back now, I still believe it was one of the best decisions I have ever made.
Representing UNESCO
One of the greatest privileges I had during AYIMUN was serving as a delegate representing UNESCO, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization.
UNESCO plays a crucial role in promoting peace and sustainable development through education, science, culture, communication, and international cooperation. Since its establishment in 1945, the organization has worked to strengthen mutual understanding among nations by encouraging knowledge sharing and protecting humanity's cultural and educational heritage.
Representing UNESCO required more than understanding the organization's mission.
It required thinking from UNESCO's perspective.
Throughout the conference, I continuously asked myself questions such as:
"How would UNESCO respond to this challenge?"
"Which policies align with its mission?"
"How can education and international cooperation contribute to peace?"
This experience taught me that diplomacy begins with understanding the values of the institution we represent before expressing our own opinions.
Discussing International Political Instability
The main agenda of our committee centered on the theme:
International Political Instability: Preventing the World from Global Threats.
Political instability is not simply about conflicts between governments.
Its consequences extend into education, economic development, migration, cultural preservation, humanitarian assistance, and international security.
For UNESCO, political instability presents significant challenges because conflicts frequently disrupt access to education, threaten cultural heritage sites, limit scientific cooperation, and endanger freedom of expression.
These discussions encouraged us to examine global problems from multiple perspectives rather than searching for simplistic solutions.
Every delegate brought different priorities.
Every country had different concerns.
Every negotiation required compromise.
And perhaps that is one of diplomacy's greatest lessons.
No global issue can be solved alone.
Learning Diplomacy Beyond the Classroom
Before attending AYIMUN, diplomacy was a concept I encountered mostly through academic readings and international news.
AYIMUN transformed those abstract ideas into lived experiences.
For the first time, I experienced formal negotiations.
I collaborated with delegates whose perspectives differed from mine.
I learned to defend arguments respectfully while remaining open to alternative viewpoints.
Most importantly, I discovered that diplomacy is not about winning debates.
It is about building understanding.
This realization continues to influence how I communicate, collaborate, and approach differences in both academic and professional settings.
The Beauty of Cultural Exchange
Beyond committee sessions and formal discussions, AYIMUN became a celebration of diversity.
Meeting participants from different countries reminded me that every culture offers a unique way of understanding the world.
Simple conversations during coffee breaks often became meaningful discussions about education systems, traditions, languages, aspirations, and future dreams.
Those interactions demonstrated that international conferences are not solely about policy discussions.
They are also about building friendships across borders.
In many ways, cultural exchange itself becomes a form of diplomacy.
Looking Back
When I boarded my flight home, I carried more than photographs and certificates.
I carried a broader perspective.
AYIMUN taught me that international engagement begins with curiosity.
Leadership begins with listening.
Diplomacy begins with empathy.
And meaningful growth begins when we choose courage over comfort.
Several years have passed since that experience.
Yet whenever someone asks where my international journey began, my answer remains unchanged.
It began in Kuala Lumpur.
Not because it was my first time abroad.
But because it was the moment I realized that the world is far bigger, more diverse, and more connected than I had ever imagined.
That realization continues to inspire every opportunity I pursue today.





Komentar
Posting Komentar